Carbon Monoxide Detectors are now required for home sales in Washington state.
In order to sell, or re-sell a home in Washington State, effective April 1st, a Seller must now include a carbon monoxide detector in every home. As a Buyer, you’ll want to watch for the presence of the detector. As a Seller, here are the guidelines:
- A detector must be placed on each floor of the home
- A detector must be placed outside each sleeping area
- It doesn’t matter whether or not you have a fuel-burning fireplace in your home
- It doesn’t matter whether or not you have an attached garage
- It doesn’t matter whether the home is new construction — the law applies to every home
Carbon monoxide detectors are readily available in hardware stores, home centers, super stores such as Fred Meyer and Wal-Mart, and often at Costco and Sams Club. In my own search, I’ve priced them starting from about $35.
If you have any questions about this new requirement, or need additional assistance as you prepare to sell your home, please don’t hesitate to give me a call. As always, I’m delighted to be of help to you in any of your real estate needs.